With so many beautiful and historic destinations within a couple of hours of Melbourne, it’s easy to overlook visiting some of the lesser talked about towns or regions. There’s no need to be concerned about where to stay as Nagambie is home to luxury accommodation at the Mitchelton Winery.
Luxury Accommodation in Nagambie
Nagambie is one of those destinations, definitely considered off the beaten path but well worth visiting for its natural beauty, food, wine and water activities on Lake Nagambie.
Top PickMitchelton Winery Hotel
There is only one option if you’re looking for a luxury or boutique hotel in Nagambie and that is Mitchelton Estate run by MGallery by Sofitel. The beautifully designed rooms either overlook the vineyards or the Goulburn River. The hotel is perfect to use as a base to explore wineries and activities in the region but you can find everything you need for a weekend away within the estate grounds. You can have a wine tasting experience, swim in the infinity pool, enjoy the spa or eat at Nagambie’s best restaurant.Check Availability
If Nagambie’s only boutique hotel is unavailable or out of your budget, there are a few other motels and holiday homes which get good reviews. But to reiterate, if you are looking for luxury or winery accommodation then stay at the highly regarded Mitchelton Hotel.
Nagambie Waterfront Motel – This popular motel is located on the shores of Lake Nagambie and is the most popular motel in Nagambie. If the Mitchelton isn’t available and you’re willing to settle for something a little more basic then this is the next best option. It’s considerably more affordable than the Mitchelton but of course, you get what you pay for. That being said, Nagambie Waterfront is excellent value for money.
Airbnb Narambie – While there are a number of Airbnb holiday stays in Nabambie, these are generally more classic family-style homes rather than luxury accommodation or anything resembling a boutique hotel.
Nagambie Caravan Park – The caravan park has motel-style accommodation which is basic, clean and great value for money. The central pool is one of the highlights so this is a great option if you’re on a budget and have young children who need entertaining.
Things to Do In Nagambie, Victoria
Highlights of a visit to Nagambie while on a day trip from Melbourne or for a weekend break focus on culinary attractions and outdoor activities.
- Lake Nagambie – The most popular destination in Nagambie, the lake is perfect for a range of outdoor activities including rowing, canoeing, sailing, water skiing and fishing.
- Hiking and Walking Trails – There are a number of trails in the area but if you’re interested in nature and wildlife, walk along the boardwalks at Tahbilk Wetlands and Wildlife Reserve.
- Scenic Lookouts – If you’re looking for a more intense hike, walk the 799 metres to Mt Wombat lookout. Here you’ll find 360 degrees views towards Goulburn Weir and the surrounding basin.
- Nagambie Bakery – a great place to pick up a morning pasty, picnic supplies or for an afternoon cake. This classic bakery is the best in Nagambie.
- Nagambie Main Street – A short stroll will take you by local cafes, restaurants and shops run by Nagambie locals.
- Nagambie Brewery and Distillery – Located on the main street in Nagambie, the brewery and distillery is the spot to try the locally brewed Nagambie Pale Ale or Nagambie Lager. There are classic pub style meals here too.
- Wineries – There are many small wineries in the Goulburn Valley Wine Region with the two most famous in Nagambie being Tahbilk Winery and Cellar Door and Mitchelton Estate.
Frequently Asked Questions
How far is Nagambie from Melbourne? Nagambie is 130 km north of central Melbourne. It should take less than two hours to arrive by taking the M31 but note you might have to pay a toll if you take the CityLink on your way there.
Where is Nagambie? Nagambie is located north of Melbourne between the towns of Seymour and Shepparton. The town centre is on Lake Nagambie, part of the Goulburn River, just south of Goulburn Weir.
Can you walk around Lake Nagambie? No, it’s not possible to walk around the entire lake. However, there are scenic walking trails along the lake and the Goulburn River.
Can you visit Nagambie on a day trip from Melbourne? Yes, Nagambie is less than 2 hours from Melbourne making it an easy day trip and the most popular way to visit the area.
If you have any questions or would like to leave a hotel review, please do so in the comments.
Recommendations are independently chosen by our travel editors. This post contains affiliate links to hotels in Nagambie, Australia. This means we get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.