Cheltenham is a popular Regency spa town in the Cotswolds district in England. It initially became well known in 1716 with the discovery of the first natural spring. In recent times it has developed into a wonderful weekend break destination and you’ll find many excellent food attractions, cultural experiences and festivals worth attending.
In this guide, we recommend a number of boutique hotels in Cheltenham that will provide you with a comfortable base from which to explore the region.
Boutique Hotels in Cheltenham
You’ll find a number of boutique hotels in Cheltenham city centre and there are also a few a little further out. We recommend staying fairly central so you’ll have easy access to the city’s wonderful restaurants, green open spaces and boutique shopping.
Top PickThe George
Address: Saint Georges Road, Cheltenham, UK
The George by Cult Hotels is a warm and welcoming boutique hotel located in central Cheltenham within walking distance to great restaurants, cultural activities and the most popular sights. The rooms are beautifully decorated using dark features that create a warm and cosy atmosphere. The luxurious bathrooms are stocked with handmade products from Norway and include a relaxing rain shower.
- Lovely bathroom products from Norwegian brand Sprekenhus.
- Breakfast with locally sourced produce.
- Blackout curtains.
- Automated check-in and check-out.
Pros: A stylish boutique hotel with a focus on quality furnishings, attention to detail and exceptional service.
Cons: The hotel mentions sustainability as a high priority, however, there is no information about their initiatives on their website. This doesn’t mean they don’t exist, simply that they aren’t currently transparent about it. I would love to find out about what they’re doing.Check Availability
When recommending hotels, we look at a range of features that include the following.
- Exceptional service. This is essential to a wonderful hotel stay.
- Quality design. The value placed on this varies but we usually recommend hotels that have modern design features, quality bathroom fittings, high-end furniture and stylish common areas.
- Great location. Depending on your reason for travelling, you might prefer to stay in the city centre, entertainment district, the fashion district or the cool hipster district. This is why we recommend several places so you can find something that suits your interests.
- Value for money. Although you might not be looking for a budget hotel, that doesn’t mean you want to pay over the top. We try to avoid recommending hotels that are poor value for money but again, that is a subjective determination.
- Sustainability. We give priority to hotels that use renewable electricity as their energy source and implement energy efficiency and conservation measures. This is the most effective way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the hotel industry.
- Social impact. Social sustainability is important too and this covers the fair treatment of employees, permanent contracts, minimum benefits etc. Unfortunately, this is very difficult to determine but it’s something to keep in mind.
More Hotel in Cheltenham
If you’re not interested in our top pick, there are quite a few other hotels in Cheltenham that are either luxury hotels or small boutique places to stay. All of the following hotels are excellent, it most likely comes down to the area where you would like to stay. But you can’t go wrong with any of these hotels as the reviews can attest.
Address: Bayshill Road, Cheltenham, England, UK
The Malmaison is one of the most stylish design hotels in Cheltenham and is located in the hugely popular Montpellier district. The hotel decor is warm and sophisticated with stunning attention to detail and original artwork on the walls. This might not be the best value hotel but it’s very popular nonetheless. Additionally, the Malmaison Cheltenham is one of the most sustainable hotels in Cheltenham noted by their Green Tourism certification. You can read about this certification here.
No 131 The Promenade
Address: 131 The Promenade, Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
Beautiful rooms with plush furnishings, comfortable beds and luxurious bathrooms make this one of the best luxury hotels in Cheltenham. Located in the wonderful Montpellier district, the hotel is a short walk to Montpellier Gardens and the city centre. There is an excellent restaurant on site that serves delicious meals created with locally sourced, organic produce.
No 38 The Park
Address: 38 Evesham Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
The beautiful, luxury accommodation at No 38 The Park is one of the most elegant hotels in Cheltenham. Located in a Georgian-era townhouse opposite Pittville Park. The benefit of staying in this area is the proximity to both Cheltenham city centre as well as one of the area’s most beautiful open green spaces. The hotel rooms are very large as are the bathrooms. The design might be too traditional for some but the quality, cleanliness and thoughtful staff make it a worthwhile choice.
This article is part of our series on places to visit in the UK. We hope this will help you when planning your upcoming trip.
Map: The George by Cult Hotels
There is plenty to keep you busy while in Cheltenham. Start here to find things to in the area and great experiences to look out for while you’re there. Enjoy your trip!
If you have any questions or would like to leave a hotel review, please do so in the comments.
Recommendations are independently chosen by our travel editors. This post contains affiliate links to hotels in Cheltenham, Cotswolds, UK. This means we get a small commission from any bookings at no extra cost to you.